As soon as I was finished stitching it I stumbled over a blog post by the quilt pattern designer. She includes many photos of the quilt made in different colorways and it is interesting to hear how this pattern changed her life.
Marilou wanted this quilt done custom and during the consultation she picked out the motifs she liked best to bring out the romance in this quilt. I exported a screenshot from my Intelliquilter so you can better see the overall layout of the quilt. I love that IQ can give me the freedom to layout a whole quilt (or in this case I did about 3/4 and just flipped it when I got to the bottom since it is symmetrical). Click on the image to see it bigger.
In the first rose border is a harp feather design with the feathers repeated in the whitish/cream inner border.
The rose border closest to the main body of the quilt uses the same Pretty Posie motifs from the outside border just in a different style.
The setting triangles got a Carmen’s Rose design from One Song Needle Arts. I added freehand ribbon curls to bring the motif up into the background of the Dresden Plates in those setting triangles.
I did a freehand curl in the Dresden Plates with a simple meander behind the petals.
I’m most pleased with the concentric circles that frame all of the central Dresden Plates. I used the Line Pattern feature on my IQ to drag out arches and make a continuous path that directly matched Marilou’s piecing. She was thrilled when she got this back, BTW.
I love it when my customers fall back in love with their quilts when they see them again!